WHAT IS IB?
The International Baccalaureate® (IB) aims to develop in students, the intellectual, personal, emotional and social skills needed to live, learn and work in a rapidly globalizing world. The IB offers four high-quality educational programs: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), the IB Diploma Programme (DP) and the Career-related Programme (CP). This organization has partnered with Chicago Public Schools to offer over 100 IB programmes to students of all backgrounds with proven success. For more information about the IB, please check out the videos below from https://www.ibo.org/ .
WHAT IS MYP?
The International Baccalaureate® (IB) Middle Years Program (MYP) is for students aged 11-16, in grades 6-10. The MYP offers a challenging framework that encourages students to make practical connections between their studies and the real world. The MYP curriculum framework comprises eight subject groups, providing a broad and balanced education for early adolescents.
The MYP requires at least 50 hours of teaching time for each subject group, in each year of the program. It encourages students to make practical connections between their studies and the real world, preparing them for success in further study and in life.
The MYP is grounded in inquiry (an investigation beginning with a question), and seeks to develop active learners and internationally minded young people who can empathize with others and pursue lives of purpose and meaning. The program empowers students to inquire into a wide range of issues and ideas of significance locally, nationally and globally. The result is young people who are creative, critical and reflective thinkers.
Research has shown that students participating in the MYP:
- build confidence in managing their own learning
- learn by doing; by connecting the classroom to the larger world
- outperform non-IB students in critical academic skills
- consistently have greater success in IB Diploma Program examinations
- thrive in positive school cultures where they are engaged and motivated to excel
- and, develop an understanding of global challenges and a commitment to act as responsible citizens.
THE HISTORY OF IB PROGRAMME AT MOLLISON
- September 2014 – Mollison was recognized as an IB candidate school for the Middle Years Programme.
- The authorization process varies by school and IB Programme, but typically takes between two and three years.
- The school had to complete a challenging application process and submit supporting documents to demonstrate the school’s understanding of the programme. After completing the application, a team of educators from the IB network interviewed students, staff, the principal, parents, and community members.
- November 2017 – Mollison was named an authorized school for the Middle Years Programme.
- As a school community, we use ongoing feedback to continue to improve the IB Programme at Mollison.
- September 2022 - Mollison began the programme evaluation process. Five years after authorization, schools are required to reflect on their implementation of the programme standards and practices to identify achievements and areas for further development.